Grace Presbyterian Church (USA), Tuscaloosa, Alabama, seeks a temporary pastor to support the church in worship, pastoral care, service and outreach. Grace was chartered in 2017 as a home for progressive Christians. It has a strong emphasis on social justice, inclusiveness, racial equity, community service and advocacy.
Its mission is Celebrating Christ’s universal love, we seek to do justice, embrace kindness and walk humbly with God. A growing church with a diverse membership, Grace has a healthy mix of ages including young families and youth. It is a More Light congregation, dedicated to the inclusion of LGBTQ+ persons in the life of the church. Grace maintains a growing food ministry and dedicates about a third of its annual budget to mission outreach.
- Masters of Divinity preferred
- Ordination in the PCUSA or the ability to secure permission to administer sacraments and moderate session from the Commission on Ministry of the Presbytery of Sheppards and Lapsley.
- Interim training preferred or experience with churches in transition.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Organizational and management skills
- Progressive values
- Willingness to use inclusive language in varied theological and other contexts.
Basic and ongoing functions of the position
- Lead worship services.
- Perform pastoral visits to the sick, shut-ins and prospective members.
- Officiate at weddings and funerals as requested.
- Plan and moderate Session and congregational meetings.
- Support the work of church committees as needed.
- Supervise and oversee staff.
- Help the congregation work through its discernment process as it looks towards transitioning to a permanently installed pastor.
- Assist the Session to identify current issues it faces and to develop ways of resolving them.
- Prepare the congregation for the arrival of a new minister.
- Perform other administrative and pastoral duties as requested.
The position is expected to be a commitment of 6 to 12 months with the possibility of extension if needed.
The compensation range is $70,000 to $90,000 annually, which would include salary, housing allowance, benefits and reimbursable expenses.
Inquires and applications can be directed to Sherry Kimbro (email@example.com).